Page 5 of 43 FirstFirst ... 34567 15 ... LastLast
    Team
    North Melbourne
    Array
    Quote Originally Posted by Stanton View Post
    Really want a new dog now (last one died almost 3 years ago from heart trouble )

breeno I love Huskies just because they look so fucking awesome but I genuinely know nothing about them apart from that their gaze can stop time. Is it OK to keep them in Australia (how do they cope with the climate?) and what sort of dog are they temperament-wise?
    They're good dogs, although not fantastic with children and can be a bit aloof at times. Their coat is fine for Australian conditions, on the proviso that you keep them cooled (air con/hose/pool) during the summer because it's a thick fuckin' coat. Very loyal and are a guarding dog, establish your dominance early or you will have an arrogant little bastard on your hands. Nice dogs though, I like them.
    Quote Originally Posted by LondonCalling View Post

* - Taller girls are already limited in their options for who they fuck...for some reason they insist on wearing heels on top of this to exemplify the fact they're a freak.

Team
    Essington
    Other
    Arsenal (August - Feb)
    Array
    Quote Originally Posted by breeno View Post
    They're good dogs, although not fantastic with children and can be a bit aloof at times. Their coat is fine for Australian conditions, on the proviso that you keep them cooled (air con/hose/pool) during the summer because it's a thick fuckin' coat. Very loyal and are a guarding dog, establish your dominance early or you will have an arrogant little bastard on your hands. Nice dogs though, I like them.
    Awesome, cheers.

Don't think I'll get one while living at home, but I definitely will at some point in my lifetime.

Do you have any suggestions/preferences for a medium dog which can handle people not being home during the day (big backyard and would be walked daily), is friendly as anything and will also be obedient? Pretty much asking for some super dog here haha...

Team
    North Melbourne
    Array
    Awesome, cheers.

Don't think I'll get one while living at home, but I definitely will at some point in my lifetime.

Do you have any suggestions/preferences for a medium dog which can handle people not being home during the day (big backyard and would be walked daily), is friendly as anything and will also be obedient? Pretty much asking for some super dog here haha...
    No problemo.

Most dogs are going to be iffy about being left home all day during the day. I'm biased, but in my experience Boxers are great dogs. Excitable clowns, great with children, although they're quite intelligent when trained. They might get a bit lonely being left home alone though as they absolutely love company. I get home every day to my dog with his hamburger toy in is mouth ready for a wrestle or a game of hamburger throw in the back yard. He sits, lays down and stays, and when I raise my voice listens (all of the Boxers I've ever had are like this). He exhibits all of these traits at 5 years old, my other two boxers I've had, one died at 10 and did this 'til the day he died, the other died at 16 and only stopped playing when his walking was severely hindered. Even then he would hobble down the stairs every now and then when we were playing with the dog that we currently still has (he was about 4 when the old one died ) to kick some arse in a game of ball.

They're affectionate as all hell too. My sister who yells at him and fights him for the heater every morning (she doesn't really like animals that much) was crying in her room after her boyfriend had broken up with her one day, and my current dog, sensing her being upset, brought in his favourite toy that he never lets anyone have, dropped it on her lap, jumped up on her bed, whined once, licked some of her tears (kinda gross) and then just layed at her feet the whole day.

Dogue de Bordeaux's are another fantastic dog like this, although slightly bigger than 'medium'. Labs are always a safe bet as well, they're friendly as hell and obedient, but a lot of them grow up really quickly (as in, lose that puppy attitude that a dog like a Boxer keeps forever).

Each dog is different though, although you rarely get a dosile Boxer or an aggressive Lab and how you raise them will be the key. There are many good dogs and dog breeds out there!
    Last edited by breeno; 23rd February 2012 at 03:46 PM.

* - Taller girls are already limited in their options for who they fuck...for some reason they insist on wearing heels on top of this to exemplify the fact they're a freak.

Team
    Geelong
    Other
    Liverpool, New Orleans Saints, OKC
    Array
    They're affectionate as all hell too. My sister who yells at him and fights him for the heater every morning (she doesn't really like animals that much) was crying in her room after her boyfriend had broken up with her one day, and my current dog, sensing her being upset, brought in his favourite toy that he never lets anyone have, dropped it on her lap, jumped up on her bed, whined once, licked some of her tears (kinda gross) and then just layed at her feet the whole day.
    That is superb!

Team
    North Melbourne
    Array
    Quote Originally Posted by Narkee View Post
    That is superb!
    Viszlas are like this too, absolute sweethearts!

Team
    Essington
    Other
    Arsenal (August - Feb)
    Array
    That sounds perfect actually. My sister and I are at uni and mum works 3 days so it's not like it'll be all the time but it won't have 24/7 company either.

What are they like exercise (a new meaning for boxercise? ) wise? Could it handle jogging a few k's or would it struggle to keep up?

Next step is to convince the folks that we need a dog lol.

Thanks again for the help

A Wolf in the Throne Room Damon_3388's Avatar
    Team
    Collingwood
    Other
    Norwood
    Array
    My Mum got a King Charles Spaniel puppy the other day. His name is Jasper.

Such a cute dog!
    2015 NBA Slam Dunk Contest Champion.

Team
    North Melbourne
    Array
    That sounds perfect actually. My sister and I are at uni and mum works 3 days so it's not like it'll be all the time but it won't have 24/7 company either.

What are they like exercise (a new meaning for boxercise? ) wise? Could it handle jogging a few k's or would it struggle to keep up?

Next step is to convince the folks that we need a dog lol.

Thanks again for the help
    Being a working dog they need a tonne of exercise (preferably sprinting and other explosive exercises though). It tends to be a bit of a lottery. The dog I had who died at 10 (we got him from where he was beaten up because he was deaf by a farmer when he was 3) was the perfect running partner. When Dad was preparing for the Army fitness test, he was running a good 5-6kms and this dog would be directly beside him every step of the way and could run pretty much forever. The other one would run about a km and a half then just stop and refuse to go any further. The current dog I have is really deep chested so I never run him far, but he keeps up on regular 1km runs. So yeah, walk him/her from a very young age once it's vaccinated fully, gradually bring running in. If you run him/her every day, they'll have no trouble keeping up brah. However, don't run them an hour before or after food (90 mins to be safe) as they can get stomach bloat which can fuck them up/kill them if not treated.

Team
    Western Bulldogs
    Array
    breeno would you have any idea what kind of breed this is? It's my mum's dog and when she got him she was expecting him to be a tiny lap dog, he's one now and is a lot bigger than what we expected

(+ my baby )

Team
    Geelong
    Other
    Liverpool, New Orleans Saints, OKC
    Array
    Black Staffy looks awesome!

Team
    Essington
    Other
    Arsenal (August - Feb)
    Array
    Being a working dog they need a tonne of exercise (preferably sprinting and other explosive exercises though). It tends to be a bit of a lottery. The dog I had who died at 10 (we got him from where he was beaten up because he was deaf by a farmer when he was 3) was the perfect running partner. When Dad was preparing for the Army fitness test, he was running a good 5-6kms and this dog would be directly beside him every step of the way and could run pretty much forever. The other one would run about a km and a half then just stop and refuse to go any further. The current dog I have is really deep chested so I never run him far, but he keeps up on regular 1km runs. So yeah, walk him/her from a very young age once it's vaccinated fully, gradually bring running in. If you run him/her every day, they'll have no trouble keeping up brah. However, don't run them an hour before or after food (90 mins to be safe) as they can get stomach bloat which can fuck them up/kill them if not treated.
    Sounds perfect brah.

Nagging campaign begins now.

Team
    North Melbourne
    Array
    lol 'twas negged by crow mo for this thread

Jihad, my best guess would be a Maltese/Pomeranian/English Sheepdog hybrid. It looks exactly like a maltese/pom I know, but bigger

Team
    West Coast
    Other
    Everton
    Array
    Are you a dog breeder Breeno?
    Quote Originally Posted by WCEForeverman View Post
    Where's Masto?
    Quote Originally Posted by Indie View Post
    Only question for me is which one will transcend their respective game more. I'm think Sheed will be a Jordan-esque figure, and Stones to have the statistical dominance of a Gretzky.

Team
    St. Kilda
    Other
    AC Milan
    Array
    I have a maltese x shih-tzu, probably one of the best dogs temperament-wise imo
    Do have a bit of a Napoleon Complex, so are a bit yappy, but are more or less perfect around people of all ages

Team
    North Sydney Bears
    Other
    Liverpool, Essendon, Aust + NSW cricket, Chicago Cubs
    Array
    lol 'twas negged by crow mo for this thread
    Quote Originally Posted by Triptanes View Post
    Was there last night, but had a case of the yeah_nahs yesterday and was tired, just drinking water and hoping I didn't yeah_nah my pants.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eboue View Post
    Cue the nickname 'Poo-ey Pants' for the rest of the year. Thanks, mum.