Page 429 of 1001 FirstFirst ... 329 379 419427428429430431 439 479 529 929 ... LastLast
Results 6,421 to 6,435 of 15011
    @CaptainUniverse James Pattinson's Avatar
    Team
    #TeamSabine
    Other
    #TeamSabine
    Array
    #TeamSabine

This Is AFL | AFL Forum Triptanes's Avatar
    Team
    Something Coast
    Array
    Quote Originally Posted by James Pattinson View Post
    Will make a great match with your gym bag.

@CaptainUniverse James Pattinson's Avatar
    Team
    #TeamSabine
    Other
    #TeamSabine
    Array
    Quote Originally Posted by Triptanes View Post
    Will make a great match with your gym bag.

Errrr... how did you get a camera in my bedroom?
    #TeamSabine

Array
    some guy just popped up in my newsfeed who i dont know, but it seems he has tumours on both his testicles

ok i got a new one. no tumor on your nut? that's positive. tumor on your nut? that's negative. i've got tumors on both, double negative. so do they cancer each other out?
    taking it like a champ though
    RIP Manorei, dropping the fait in heaven

Team
    West Coast
    Other
    Arsenal, NYK
    Array
    Fuck I wish we made a thread called 'Obama doing Cool shit' when he was elected. Anyway

Last picture is god-like
    #dubanomics

Team
    St. Kilda
    Other
    AC Milan
    Array
    Starting to accept the fact im going to go bald sometime in the next 5-10 years
    Dad's bald, his dad was bald, his dad's dad was bald...
    Still got a full head of hair and doesn't look like im losing it at all yet, but yeah, depressing as

yeah yeah yeah first world problems etc etc

Team
    West Coast
    Other
    Arsenal, NYK
    Array
    Quote Originally Posted by jocstrap View Post
    Starting to accept the fact im going to go bald sometime in the next 5-10 years
    Dad's bald, his dad was bald, his dad's dad was bald...
    Still got a full head of hair and doesn't look like im losing it at all yet, but yeah, depressing as

yeah yeah yeah first world problems etc etc
    Baldness gene is on your mum's side tho?

I think...
    #dubanomics

Team
    St. Kilda
    Other
    AC Milan
    Array
    Quote Originally Posted by r dub View Post

I think...
    Mum's dad's bald too, but didn't start losing hair til late 40's, so there may be hope

tbh will just buzz cut when i start thinning

Team
    Fremantle FC
    Other
    Racing Club de Bobo
    Array

I think...
    Pretty sure that's a myth, i think it can be from either both sides.

myth-busting books

Pride of South Australia Big Sledge's Avatar
    Team
    Adelaide Crows
    Other
    Baltimore Ravens, Oregon Ducks & #TeamMasto
    Array
    I just want my hair to last until I've secured a good girl as I know prospects will thin out* when I go bald

*pun intended
    Quote Originally Posted by Terrell Suggs
    “We beat the future in Andrew Luck. We beat the past in Peyton Manning. We beat the present in Tom Brady. Then we beat the best show on offense in the NFL in the 49ers in Colin Kaepernick. The toughest road in these playoffs, we did it. We did it together.”
    Quote Originally Posted by CumDusty View Post
    torn between my love for Sledge and my love for sluts...

Array
    Quote Originally Posted by hedgehog View Post
    Pretty sure that's a myth, i think it can be from either both sides.

myth-busting books
    As you note, popular belief has long held that male baldness is inherited through the mother, and that any lad curious about what's in store for him hairwise should check out his mom's father and her paternal uncles. For just as long health care types have been patiently explaining that this belief was groundless--that instead, as one doctor's Web site (still) puts it, "a single dominant autosomal gene controls male pattern baldness." In other words, baldness isn't a sex-linked characteristic, meaning it's not transmitted via the X or Y chromosomes that determine whether you're male or female. Rather it's passed down via one of the non-sex-linked chromosomes, or autosomes, which are randomly contributed by both parents. So, according to the old theory, you were equally likely to get baldness from mom or dad.

It turns out, however, that the old theory was based primarily on one study conducted in, get this, 1916. Doctors were still prescribing mustard plasters in 1916. Clearly the time had come for a fresh look, particularly in light of our expanding knowledge of the human genome. Preliminary investigations hinted that baldness had something to do with the sex chromosomes--to be precise, the X chromosome, which a man inherits from his mother. (His father contributes the Y chromosome that makes him male.) Now comes a German study (Hillmer et al, American Journal of Human Genetics, July 2005) stating flatly that the major determinant of early baldness is a gene men get from their moms.

The researchers, led by Markus Nöthen of the University of Bonn, rounded up several hundred balding and nonbalding men and compared their androgen receptor (AR) genes, which are located on the X chromosome. Androgens (male sex hormones) play a key role in balding--castrated men don't go bald--and the AR gene helps them do their work. The researchers found the balding men were much more likely to have a particular version of the AR gene than the nonbalding men, which they took to mean they'd found a genetic variant that triggers baldness. Nöthen and company emphasize that this variant isn't the sole cause of baldness--other recent research suggests that baldness on your father's side of the family has something to do with it too. No doubt this helps explain cases of hairy maternal grandpa/bald dad/bald son. But Nöthen's group thinks the mother's contribution is the principal factor.

In retrospect it seems obvious baldness is at least partly an X-linked trait. (Nöthen gently reminds me that another, frankly more important reason is that men have an abundance of androgens and women generally don't.) About 1,000 genes are X-linked, among them those encoding red-green color blindness, one type of muscular dystrophy, and hemophilia, conditions predominantly afflicting males. Men are more prone than women to X-linked abnormalities because they receive an XY chromosome combination while women get XX. In women, a recessive abnormality on one X chromosome will likely be masked by a dominant normal gene on the other. Men, however, have only one X chromosome--their other sex chromosome, remember, is a Y. That means an X-linked abnormality, e.g., the aforementioned baldogenic variation in the AR gene, won't be masked and has a greater chance of being expressed, one reason you see a lot fewer balding women than balding men.

In short, after 89 years geneticists are finally getting straight on the hereditary basis of hair loss. But let's not be too quick to criticize--theirs is a confusing business. A previous demonstration of this fact, if you'll excuse my digressing a bit, is the seemingly simple matter of ascertaining how many chromosomes we humans have. By the early 1920s researchers were in wide agreement that there were 48, and for decades it was stated in textbooks as incontestable fact, leading at least one investigator to halt a research project when she kept coming up with a different figure. Not until more than 30 years later, in 1956, did Joe Hin Tjio count the chromosomes again and find, admittedly with the aid of an improved microscope slide preparation technique, that there were (ahem) only 46.
    my whole life hinges on this
    RIP Manorei, dropping the fait in heaven

He loves the honey Spudregus_87's Avatar
    Team
    Trent Cotchin FC
    Other
    Donald Glover, Will McAvoy, Tyrion Lannister
    Array
    India 330/4 (47.5 ov, MS Dhoni 4*, SK Raina 12*, Umar Gul 2/65) - Match over | Live Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

Pakistan scored 329, Kholi goes on to smash 183* (148), to get India over the line with two overs to go.

This follows his 133* (86) in Hobart, when India successfully chased down Sri Lanka's 320.

Averages 50.56 from 85 ODIs. Leading runs scorer with 1400+ ODI runs last year.

Bit of a douche, but damn the guy can bat - will score 15,000+ ODI runs.
    AFL Silent Auction Game (2014) | Top 50 Mines of 2014 (Coming Soon)

Quote Originally Posted by Embers View Post
    Species hold other species down. Thats just fact. Humans have taken down the whale, Reptilians have taken down the human, Global Warming will take down the Reptilians. The sun will win in the end

Team
    Essendon FC
    Other
    Jacana football club
    Array
    Fuck I wish we made a thread called 'Obama doing Cool shit' when he was elected. Anyway

Last picture is god-like
    Better thread would be mark Latham doing cool shit

Could have been the greatest prime minister ever

Maybe fev and Latham could run together next time??
    Quote Originally Posted by rossi View Post
    I wish that cvnt had died in the Bali bombings..
    Quote Originally Posted by Gus View Post
    I don't even feel like masturbating right now. Which is weird cos I usually do that a lot.

Team
    Essendon FC
    Other
    Jacana football club
    Array
    Wish I'd brought my iPod to work today... At the Japanese consulate bored as hell
    Quote Originally Posted by rossi View Post
    I wish that cvnt had died in the Bali bombings..
    Quote Originally Posted by Gus View Post
    I don't even feel like masturbating right now. Which is weird cos I usually do that a lot.

Team
    North Sydney Bears
    Other
    Liverpool, Essendon, Aust + NSW cricket, Chicago Cubs
    Array
    Quote Originally Posted by Damon_3388 View Post
    What I don't get about The Shire is why that particular part of NSW is known as 'The Shire', and people recognise exactly where you're talking about when you mention it, when there's not only a bunch of other shires in that state, but around the rest of Australia as well.
    Because it embodies their 'exclusivity' complex pretty well. If you're from the shire you're generally white, right wing and pretty fucking full of yourself, hence everyone outside the shire dislikes them. Pity about the people there because it's a nice part of the world.
    Quote Originally Posted by Triptanes View Post
    Was there last night, but had a case of the yeah_nahs yesterday and was tired, just drinking water and hoping I didn't yeah_nah my pants.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eboue View Post
    Cue the nickname 'Poo-ey Pants' for the rest of the year. Thanks, mum.