Like Tree17Likes

AFL Forum | This Is AFL | Essendon Bombers | Essendon Bombers

This Is AFL | AFL Forum BigBurger's Avatar
    Team
    West Coast Eagles
    Other
    Everton, Western Warriors
    Array
    Haha Priddis continues to be so underrated by so many which is odd considering how similar he is to Watson. Anyway I guess we'll see this weekend.

This Is AFL | AFL Forum boncer34's Avatar
    Array
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBurger View Post
    Haha Priddis continues to be so underrated by so many which is odd considering how similar he is to Watson. Anyway I guess we'll see this weekend.
    You keep telling yourself that sunshine if it makes the world seem like a brighter place.

Team
    Essendon
    Other
    FCBarcelona, Melbourne Heart FC
    Array
    Hird said he used the 4th quarter of the Suns game as a practice match for the Eagles game. Interesting comments.

This Is AFL | AFL Forum Eth-dog's Avatar
    Team
    Essendon
    Other
    Manchester United, Victoria Bushrangers, Melbourne Storm, Melbourne Rebels
    Array
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBurger View Post
    Hooker will get torn a new one against Kennedy the same way Cloke did to him. Kenno and Cloke are two of the hardest workers in the game and travel a long way throughout the duration of the game. Not sure who else you'd have on him it might have to Fletch.

P.S looking forward to the Watson vs Priddis dual.
    Riewoldt is the hardest worker in the game. And Hooker towlled him after qtr time. Hooker is our fittest defender and will go to Kennedy.

It should be interesting

Griff
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Andres View Post
    Hird said he used the 4th quarter of the Suns game as a practice match for the Eagles game. Interesting comments.
    That is interesting. To be a fly on the coaches board...

Ethan, we shall see. FWIW I think Hird will be more than happy to let Lynch get the ball up the field, as he is an exceedingly predictable player.

Team
    Essendon
    Other
    Array
    Had the weirdest dream last night. I was a coach down at Windy Hill, and Hirdy comes up to me and goes "Mate, we're looking to tailor make a training regime for Stants so he can improve his ball disposal, decision-making and 1%ers under pressure. Any ideas?"

"Do you want to simulate a match day scenario?"
    "Nah we can't do that without involving most of the team, which would distract them from their current training setup. This needs to be one-on-one. Reckon you can handle it?"
    "Yeah... I've got an idea"

So I go to a gun shop and then Officeworks.

"Stants, we're going to try something different"
    "Wait, what is that?"
    "I'm going to stick this gun to your head and wrap it round with sticky tape. Inside the pistol is a sensor attached to the firing mechanism. The sensor detects heightened patterns of fear and/or nervousness....

ok now you can go and have a kick with the rest of the boys. Their just doing some ball pick up drills. Easy stuff"

****BOOM****

Yeah was kind of weird.

Team
    Essendon
    Other
    Arsenal, Pats, Cavs, Jason Day
    Array
    fucking lol.

Good win today. We were very disappointing in that first half, however it seems that Hirdy and Bomber got into the boys. I don't think we would of won that game last year tbh.
    Broady, Broady, dude looks like a lady!

This Is AFL | AFL Forum Heppell's Avatar
    Array
    Phew. Thank god we won that one

Umpires

Team
    Essendon
    Other
    Array
    No news after the game? No injuries? No reports I imagine.

Was hoping the Lions beat the GC. They'll come out fired up this week but we should still beat them up there in Brisbane.

This Is AFL | AFL Forum clogwearer's Avatar
    Team
    Essendon
    Other
    can fuck off
    Array
    I liked the win. Bit bothered by slow starts like this one and against the Pies but WC seem a good barometer at the moment. 1-1-1 against WCE, Carlton and the Swans seems to indicate we're in the mix against decent teams. Putting away games against weaker/disappointing teams is also a good sign.

We're probably not contenders yet but signs this year are definitely encouraging.

Team
    Essendon
    Other
    Array
    So Reimers' report for tripping was thankfully thrown out while NLM has been fined $900 for negligble contact with an umpire.

Changes for the Lions game?? Slatts' first half was shitouse I thought, but tightened up in the second. Will probably hold his spot ahead of Hibberd. I don't think Hurley can play forward with both Ryder and Hille up there. I'm actually thinking Ryder should be dropped. He was incredibly soft in the contests. If Myers is ready to come in then he'll take Hurley's spot in the backline and Hurls can move forward in the absence of Ryder.

Keep Gus as a sub. No spot for him on the field with Jetta and Crameri doing so well. If Winders wasn't injured he wouldn't even get a look in. Stanton needs a big game and should be put on notice.

OUTs: Ryder
    INs: Myers

Griff
    A $900 fine would still be enough to piss off a footy player. Unlike football, where it's change...

Team
    Essendon
    Other
    can fuck off
    Array
    I'm actually thinking Ryder should be dropped. He was incredibly soft in the contests.
    I don't get to see as much as you guys due to the time/space difference (16 hours/14000km) but I wonder if the problem with Ryder is that he's too versatile. Seems to me he's been asked to do a lot in different positions and perhaps just giving him a place and telling him to dominate could help the kid out a bit?

Some guys relish the chance to play anywhere but Ryder seems disillusioned by the lack of any real focus. There's no questions about his talent, all the doubt is in his application, and I wonder whether using him as the long-abandoned 'utility' is the best option (I'm aware utility was generally used for shorter 'ruck-rover' types but it seems he's been put in some kind of all-rounder class).

That being said, I'm not sure where he needs to be played. That's a better question for people who have watched him more closely, but I have a feeling he might be a great half back attacking option, especially after Fletcher retires.
    Last edited by clogwearer; 11th May 2011 at 02:36 PM.
    I'm not the monster living under your bed, I'm just the guy who told you it was there.

Team
    Essendon
    Other
    Array
    In the modern game you need to be versatile, and with one less on the bench the pressure is on for big men to play more than one role. Ryder is certainly capable of doing that, but his rucking ability isn't really progressing and his best position seems to be as a roaming CHF.

He is crucial to the team considering the brand of footy we play (ie. bombing the ball long). But that doesn't mean he's free from critique. He has been very soft in the last fews weeks. Has applied very little physical pressure and I'm not sure why. Perhaps personal problems off the field?I think he's been given enough chances and now needs to be treated as a senior member of the team: perform or get dropped.

Ditto Stanton. I wouldn't suggest dropping Stants but I think he needs to be put on notice. The team can afford to carry him against Brisbane, but probably not against Richmond. A poor performance vs the Lions must result in him getting dropped. Hird can't be seen as playing such favouritism with players.

As I said, I prefer to see Myers come in for Ryder and Hurley -> forward, but they'll probably drop NLM (unfortunately). As long as Lonergan is in the team, NLM's rotation time on the ball will be limited meaning he's going to be exposed defensively as a 3rd tall.

That's not a swipe at Lonergan btw, just an observation.

Team
    Essendon
    Other
    can fuck off
    Array
    In the modern game you need to be versatile, and with one less on the bench the pressure is on for big men to play more than one role.

He is crucial to the team considering the brand of footy we play (ie. bombing the ball long). But that doesn't mean he's free from critique. He has been very soft in the last fews weeks.
    Can't disagree. I'm not suggesting he be given a softer run than anyone else and you're right that he's at the point where he needs to take responsibility for his place.

I'm just thinking that sometimes you can get the best out of a player by giving him a specific role and holding him responsible for that role. Ryder seems to be a guy who has got by on natural talent and this becomes an excuse. If you nail him to a position and demand results, perhaps he can rise to the occasion.

I guess it comes down to where we need him most. Is he a ruckman, and if so does he beat Hille or Bellchambers out? If not...is he a backman/ruck and how do we best utilise him?

I love Ryder and I want him in the team, he's a supremely talented player. But I want a position for him. From my admittedly distant and uneducated view I don't see that focus being applied.

If he's in the best 22 where does he play?
    I'm not the monster living under your bed, I'm just the guy who told you it was there.

Page 8 of 26 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast