Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 100

Thread: Dalglish sacked

  1. #46
    WelGOAT r dub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    32,488
    Team
    West Coast
    Other
    Arsenal, NYK
    Array
    Rep Power:       100
    Reputation:       20773
    Rodgers turns down talks with Liverpool - FourFourTwo

    Not sure if troll, loling hard if true.

    The mantle of 'big club' is gone when things like this are happening , richmond has a large supporter base too...
    #dubanomics

  2. #47
    This Is AFL | AFL Forum Special's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Victoria
    Posts
    3,471
    Team
    St Kilda
    Other
    Liverpool
    Array
    Rep Power:       16
    Reputation:       4574
    Quote Originally Posted by r dub View Post
    Rodgers turns down talks with Liverpool - FourFourTwo

    Not sure if troll, loling hard if true.

    The mantle of 'big club' is gone when things like this are happening , richmond has a large supporter base too...
    Think he's just being smart if anything.. Knows he's not ready, has a good thing going where he is, and knows it would be more than likely he wouldn't get the job. Why risk upsetting the Swansea people and hurting his current stature where he is by looking at another job that a. he probably knows he isn't ready for, and b. knows he probably wouldn't get anyway.

  3. #48
    WelGOAT r dub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    32,488
    Team
    West Coast
    Other
    Arsenal, NYK
    Array
    Rep Power:       100
    Reputation:       20773
    It's the equivalent of the ceo at Bendingo Bank turning down talks with ANZ for their vacant CEO position.
    #dubanomics

  4. #49
    diablo rojo Neville Neville's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Valparaíso
    Posts
    17,091
    Team
    Manchester United
    Other
    Essendon, Sporting Gijón
    Array
    Rep Power:       46
    Reputation:       12761
    Quote Originally Posted by Shuttlesworth View Post
    but omg cup finls.
    omg kit deals.
    ¡Vamos!

  5. #50
    world traveller, beater. Jobe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    3,316
    Team
    LFC
    Other
    Essendon. Chicago
    Array
    Rep Power:       26
    Reputation:       9746
    Quote Originally Posted by r dub View Post
    Rodgers turns down talks with Liverpool - FourFourTwo

    Not sure if troll, loling hard if true.

    The mantle of 'big club' is gone when things like this are happening , richmond has a large supporter base too...
    I realise most the time its just to get a cheap shot in at the club but tbh the constant obsession of opposition fans trying to claim Liverpool aren't a 'big club' or downplaying the clubs standing in the game is getting pretty old. New cheap dig pls.

  6. #51
    WelGOAT r dub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    32,488
    Team
    West Coast
    Other
    Arsenal, NYK
    Array
    Rep Power:       100
    Reputation:       20773
    Quote Originally Posted by Jobe View Post
    I realise most the time its just to get a cheap shot in at the club but tbh the constant obsession of opposition fans trying to claim Liverpool aren't a 'big club' or downplaying the clubs standing in the game is getting pretty old. New cheap dig pls.
    You don't think it has any merit? Honestly there is only so long you can hide behind supporter-base and history.

    To put it in perspective (in no particular order)

    Biggest clubs in the world at this point in time based on domestic performances/european performances/squad talent/overall potential

    Tier 1
    Real Madrid
    Barcelona
    Bayern Munich
    AC Milan
    Manchester United

    Tier 2
    Manchester City
    Arsenal
    Chelsea
    Dortmund
    Juventus

    Tier 3
    Lyon
    Inter
    Ajax
    Napoli
    CSKA
    Porto
    Valencia
    PSG
    Marseille
    Athletico
    Shaktar
    Benfica
    Petersburg

    Tier 4
    Liverpool
    Newcastle
    Tottenham
    Lille
    Hamburg
    Anderlecht
    Rangers
    Celtic
    Partizan
    Roma


    Probably missed some obvious ones but
    #dubanomics

  7. #52
    world traveller, beater. Jobe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    3,316
    Team
    LFC
    Other
    Essendon. Chicago
    Array
    Rep Power:       26
    Reputation:       9746
    Quote Originally Posted by r dub View Post
    You don't think it has any merit? Honestly there is only so long you can hide behind supporter-base and history.
    Well I would assume Arsenal have a pretty similar sized worldwide supporter base, your history simply doesn't compare and you haven't won a trophy in 8 years, yet I wouldn't doubt Arsenal's standing in the game even for a second.

    I just think it takes a lot more than some poor years, terrible signings, bad headlines and a few self-proclaimed arrivals on the scene (spurs) to shift the foundations just yet.

  8. #53
    diablo rojo Neville Neville's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Valparaíso
    Posts
    17,091
    Team
    Manchester United
    Other
    Essendon, Sporting Gijón
    Array
    Rep Power:       46
    Reputation:       12761
    Talk about missing the point. It's your constant talking yourselves up that we're chipping at.
    ¡Vamos!

  9. #54
    WelGOAT r dub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    32,488
    Team
    West Coast
    Other
    Arsenal, NYK
    Array
    Rep Power:       100
    Reputation:       20773
    Quote Originally Posted by Jobe View Post
    Well I would assume Arsenal have a pretty similar sized worldwide supporter base, your history simply doesn't compare and you haven't won a trophy in 8 years, yet I wouldn't doubt Arsenal's standing in the game even for a second.

    I just think it takes a lot more than some poor years, terrible signings, bad headlines and a few self-proclaimed arrivals on the scene (spurs) to shift the foundations just yet.
    I'm happy (not happy but will accept it's the case) to admit our standing has dropped from tier 1 to tier 2. However over the trophy-less period we have consistently been challenging with a limited budget and a number of re-builds, at worst we have developed a world class business model in an era dependent upon big spending. To me big clubs find a way to re-invent themselves and get back to the top, liverpool have been irrelevant domestically and in europe for what 3 or 4 seasons now? For a 'big' club that simply shouldn't be the case. You can blame this and that but the reality is all clubs are faced with challenges.
    #dubanomics

  10. #55
    world traveller, beater. Jobe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    3,316
    Team
    LFC
    Other
    Essendon. Chicago
    Array
    Rep Power:       26
    Reputation:       9746
    Quote Originally Posted by Neville Neville View Post
    Talk about missing the point. It's your constant talking yourselves up that we're chipping at.
    I'm pretty sure the 4 tier post you see above would suggest I didn't miss the point at all.

  11. #56
    WelGOAT r dub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    32,488
    Team
    West Coast
    Other
    Arsenal, NYK
    Array
    Rep Power:       100
    Reputation:       20773
    Quote Originally Posted by Jobe View Post
    I'm pretty sure the 4 tier post you see above would suggest I didn't miss the point at all.
    tbh based on my criteria I don't think you can argue with much of that from a liverpool perspective. Obviously if History was one of the determinants liverpool would be up there.
    #dubanomics

  12. #57
    1. 2. 3. 4. Crosby2Malkin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    2,500
    Team
    Adelaide Crows
    Other
    Seb Vettel, Pittsburgh Penguins, Golden State Warriors, Duke Blue Devils
    Array
    Rep Power:       10
    Reputation:       2384
    Quote Originally Posted by r dub View Post
    Don't think liverpool fans should be thanking kenny at all, imo he has put the club in a worse position than woy had them at.
    God no.

    For all the terrible expenditure and performance, the position right now is a lot better than spending time in the second division, which was exactly where Roy Hodgson was taking the club. I think most people have forgotten how truly dire the situation was under Hodgson. Short memories.

    Dalglish had a god awful year and needed to go, and I'm glad he has gone, but he did a pretty fine job of cleaning up Hodgson's mess the year before.
    Sebastian Vettel - 4x Formula One World Champion - 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013

  13. #58
    world traveller, beater. Jobe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    3,316
    Team
    LFC
    Other
    Essendon. Chicago
    Array
    Rep Power:       26
    Reputation:       9746
    Quote Originally Posted by r dub View Post
    You don't think it has any merit? Honestly there is only so long you can hide behind supporter-base and history.

    To put it in perspective (in no particular order)

    Biggest clubs in the world at this point in time based on domestic performances/european performances/squad talent/overall potential

    Tier 1
    Real Madrid
    Barcelona
    Bayern Munich
    AC Milan
    Manchester United

    Tier 2
    Manchester City
    Arsenal
    Chelsea
    Dortmund
    Juventus

    Tier 3
    Lyon
    Inter
    Ajax
    Napoli
    CSKA
    Porto
    Valencia
    PSG
    Marseille
    Athletico
    Shaktar
    Benfica
    Petersburg

    Tier 4
    Liverpool
    Newcastle
    Tottenham
    Lille
    Hamburg
    Anderlecht
    Rangers
    Celtic
    Partizan
    Roma


    Probably missed some obvious ones but
    Quote Originally Posted by r dub View Post
    I'm happy (not happy but will accept it's the case) to admit our standing has dropped from tier 1 to tier 2. However over the trophy-less period we have consistently been challenging with a limited budget and a number of re-builds, at worst we have developed a world class business model in an era dependent upon big spending. To me big clubs find a way to re-invent themselves and get back to the top, liverpool have been irrelevant domestically and in europe for what 3 or 4 seasons now? For a 'big' club that simply shouldn't be the case. You can blame this and that but the reality is all clubs are faced with challenges.
    Over the course of the past few years there isn't any arguments to be made about your post. Keep in mind it was only 5-6 years ago we were the number 1 seeded club in europe for the CL draw 2 out of 3 seasons, 4 seasons ago we should have won the league (ourselves to blame) and since then in the time frame you are referring to we have had a number of troubles (near administration included). I don't doubt that eventually we will get our shit together and reinvent ourselves as you say all big clubs do.
    Fair enough you can keep saying 'you can't keep relying on your history and supporter base' .. but lets be real here, they are two pretty key characteristics of a 'big club'.
    End of the day the point I'm trying to make is that people so easily forget, and football has become an extreme case of 'flavour of the month/year' and if you aren't making headlines tomorrow morning you are no longer considered 'big'. It's stupid.

  14. #59
    WelGOAT r dub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    32,488
    Team
    West Coast
    Other
    Arsenal, NYK
    Array
    Rep Power:       100
    Reputation:       20773
    Quote Originally Posted by Crosby2Malkin View Post
    God no.

    For all the terrible expenditure and performance, the position right now is a lot better than spending time in the second division, which was exactly where Roy Hodgson was taking the club. I think most people have forgotten how truly dire the situation was under Hodgson. Short memories.

    Dalglish had a god awful year and needed to go, and I'm glad he has gone, but he did a pretty fine job of cleaning up Hodgson's mess the year before.
    You wouldn't have got relegated, no chance. I think Kenny did do a good job till the end of the woy season but really 130 odd mil in transfer fees (don't even bring up net transfers, you have spent the money end of) + a number of high-wage long term deals is more damaging than anything woy did. Kenny had twice the support and resources possible but didn't produce a much better outcome in relative terms.
    #dubanomics

  15. #60
    WelGOAT r dub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    32,488
    Team
    West Coast
    Other
    Arsenal, NYK
    Array
    Rep Power:       100
    Reputation:       20773
    Quote Originally Posted by Jobe View Post
    Over the course of the past few years there isn't any arguments to be made about your post. Keep in mind it was only 5-6 years ago we were the number 1 seeded club in europe for the CL draw 2 out of 3 seasons, 4 seasons ago we should have won the league (ourselves to blame) and since then in the time frame you are referring to we have had a number of troubles (near administration included). I don't doubt that eventually we will get our shit together and reinvent ourselves as you say all big clubs do.
    Fair enough you can keep saying 'you can't keep relying on your history and supporter base' .. but lets be real here, they are two pretty key characteristics of a 'big club'.
    End of the day the point I'm trying to make is that people so easily forget, and football has become an extreme case of 'flavour of the month/year' and if you aren't making headlines tomorrow morning you are no longer considered 'big'. It's stupid.
    Flavour of the month/year? My point is you've been irrelevant for four years.

    To put a different spin on it, when big companies don't perform well at all relative to their peers for four years what do they become despite their previous success (history)? It's exactly the same, except we can visualise performance in monetary values.


    Do you think a player is going to chose liverpool over city if he is offered the same wage (LOL) because you have a better history?
    #dubanomics

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •